|Amazon Is Secret Buyer of Rowling's $3.9 Million 'Bard'||Subtitles advertisement|
Amazon Is Secret Buyer of Rowling's $3.9 Million 'Bard'
Article online since: 2007-12-18 01:48:30
Written by: anca axenia
Online bookseller Amazon has revealed it was the buyer behind the purchase of J.K. Rowling's unique volume of fairytales--as a "thank you" for her contribution to literature.
The Tales of Beedle the Bard--first mentioned in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows--is a handwritten and illustrated book of tales relating to the boy wizard's final adventures.
Only seven copies of the book are in existence--six of them were handed out by Rowling as gifts to those "most closely connected" to the Potter series since its conception, with one put up for auction on Thursday to help raise money for her Children's Voice charity, raising $3.9 million. Until now, the identity of the buyer has remained a secret.
Jeff Bezos, founder of Amazon, says, "Even before establishing her charity, J.K. Rowling had done the world a rare and immeasurably valuable service, enlarging forever our concept of the way books can touch people--and in particular children--in modern times."
Damien Peachy, a company spokesperson, adds, "The company bought the book as a thank you for everything J.K. Rowling has done for literature, and for encouraging children to read and for parents to read with their children. We wanted to celebrate that."
Amazon now hopes to find a way to convey the book's five fairytales to a wider audience without infringing any of the copyright issues surrounding the unpublished work. Peachy adds, "We want to enable people to see it and to hear the fantastic stories, and one of the things we're looking at is doing readings in schools."
What others said about Amazon Is Secret Buyer of Rowling's $3.9 Million 'Bard' (1)
Super infromtaive writing; keep it up. (added on 2011-06-21 21:23)
|More articles > Entertainment News|
| - Aliens are coming!
- The True Blood wedding
- Oscar organizers ponder earlier show time
- Judge says Lohan violated terms of her bail
- Parties outweigh prizes at MTV award shows
- Brad Pitt joins US bid to host soccer World Cup in 2018
- Vampire mania alerts - true blood top video sales
- From Captain to Sir - Patrick Stewart
- Two new roles for the True Blood star
- Lindsay Lohan on bracelet
- Claudia Schiffer gives birth to girl
- 'Avatar' sells 6.7 million DVDs in 4 days
- Megan Fox protests school budget cuts with comedy
- Bigelow pioneers Oscars with `Hurt Locker' win
- Crazy crowd at "Twilight: New Moon" Los Angeles premiere
- Michael Jackson died last night. R.I.P. Mike
- Hollywood: Angelina Jolie gives birth to twins
- Stars Pay Tribute to Jazz Great Oscar Peterson
- Hollywood Writer Talks Collapse
- West and Winehouse Lead Grammy Nominees
- Wayne and Taylor Enter California Hall of Fame
- Cyrus Tops Highest-Earning-Teens List
- ABC Poised to Claim Victory in November Sweep
- Broadway Strike Deal Reached
- Bindi Irwin Turns to Hip-Hop
- Craig Shoots Down 'Anti-Religious' Claims
- Alba to Take on Broadway
- Timba Lands a Family
- Alicia: I Am No. 1
- Stars Under Threat from Malibu Fires
- 'Idol' Stars Underwood and Daughtry Are Triple Winners at AMAs
- Portman Named Style Queen
- Paige Returns to Spaces
- CBS Rather Annoyed at Newsman's Lawsuit
- Winehouse Dedicates Gig to Jailed Husband
- Broadway Strike Talks to Resume
- Winfrey's 'Devastated' over School-Abuse Allegations
- Britney's Mom to Write Parenting Book
- Jim Belushi Accused of Unloading a Lemon
- Akon Show Canceled after Stage Collapses
- 'Purple Rain' Greatest Film Soundtrack: 'Vanity Fair' Magazine
- Copperfield Sued for Cancelling Tour
- Stars Fear California Fires
- Scientology Gave Seinfeld His Start in Comedy
- Schwarzenegger Declares State of Emergency
- Actress Kerr Dies
- Criss Angel & Uri Geller Team Up for Magic Special
- Kanye, Common and T.I. Lead BET Hip-Hop Awards
- T.I. Arrested After Undercover Machine-Gun Deal