|Wayne and Taylor Enter California Hall of Fame||Subtitles advertisement|
Wayne and Taylor Enter California Hall of Fame
Article online since: 2007-12-07 08:46:49
Written by: anca axenia
Hollywood icons John Wayne and Elizabeth Taylor were inducted into the California Hall of Fame on Wednesday in celebration of their ties to the state.
The Hall of Fame was launched by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger's wife Maria Shriver in 2006 in collaboration with the California Museum for History, Women and the Arts to honor individuals who have made their mark on history.
Baseball players Jackie Robinson and Willie Mays were also inducted into the Hall of Fame this week.
But some of California's most famed inhabitants, like Marilyn Monroe, have yet to be presented with the accolade.
Defending the list of inductees, Schwarzenegger says, "It is very, very hard because we have so many great talents in California."
The event at the California Museum for History, Women and the Arts in Sacramento lured all of the living inductees to attend except Taylor, 75, who failed to show up at the last minute.
Many of those honored on Wednesday spent only part of their lives in the Golden State, such as London-born Taylor and the late Robinson, the first African-American player in Major League Baseball, who hailed from Georgia.
Californian natives inducted this year included author John Steinbeck, Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, golf superstar Tiger Woods and photographer Ansel Adams.
|More articles > Entertainment News|
| - Aliens are coming!
- The True Blood wedding
- Oscar organizers ponder earlier show time
- Judge says Lohan violated terms of her bail
- Parties outweigh prizes at MTV award shows
- Brad Pitt joins US bid to host soccer World Cup in 2018
- Vampire mania alerts - true blood top video sales
- From Captain to Sir - Patrick Stewart
- Two new roles for the True Blood star
- Lindsay Lohan on bracelet
- Claudia Schiffer gives birth to girl
- 'Avatar' sells 6.7 million DVDs in 4 days
- Megan Fox protests school budget cuts with comedy
- Bigelow pioneers Oscars with `Hurt Locker' win
- Crazy crowd at "Twilight: New Moon" Los Angeles premiere
- Michael Jackson died last night. R.I.P. Mike
- Hollywood: Angelina Jolie gives birth to twins
- Stars Pay Tribute to Jazz Great Oscar Peterson
- Amazon Is Secret Buyer of Rowling's $3.9 Million 'Bard'
- Hollywood Writer Talks Collapse
- West and Winehouse Lead Grammy Nominees
- Cyrus Tops Highest-Earning-Teens List
- ABC Poised to Claim Victory in November Sweep
- Broadway Strike Deal Reached
- Bindi Irwin Turns to Hip-Hop
- Craig Shoots Down 'Anti-Religious' Claims
- Alba to Take on Broadway
- Timba Lands a Family
- Alicia: I Am No. 1
- Stars Under Threat from Malibu Fires
- 'Idol' Stars Underwood and Daughtry Are Triple Winners at AMAs
- Portman Named Style Queen
- Paige Returns to Spaces
- CBS Rather Annoyed at Newsman's Lawsuit
- Winehouse Dedicates Gig to Jailed Husband
- Broadway Strike Talks to Resume
- Winfrey's 'Devastated' over School-Abuse Allegations
- Britney's Mom to Write Parenting Book
- Jim Belushi Accused of Unloading a Lemon
- Akon Show Canceled after Stage Collapses
- 'Purple Rain' Greatest Film Soundtrack: 'Vanity Fair' Magazine
- Copperfield Sued for Cancelling Tour
- Stars Fear California Fires
- Scientology Gave Seinfeld His Start in Comedy
- Schwarzenegger Declares State of Emergency
- Actress Kerr Dies
- Criss Angel & Uri Geller Team Up for Magic Special
- Kanye, Common and T.I. Lead BET Hip-Hop Awards
- T.I. Arrested After Undercover Machine-Gun Deal